INAUGURAL SPEECH BY HON. UDO EKPENYONG, CHAIRMAN, PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY, AKWA IBOM STATE
1. To the Only Wise God be the glory, the praise, the power, the dominion and the majesty for this great honour He has done my colleagues, our families and me: amen!
2. A few minutes ago, another era began in the annals of the Akwa Ibom State Chapter of our great Party, PDP, as we formally took over the mantle of leadership, which for us in the new State Executive Council (SEC) is historic.
3. Our very special gratitude goes to the Leader of the Party and Governor of the State, His Excellency, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, and the Mother of our Party, Her Excellency, Dr. Martha Udom Emmanuel, for providing the leadership which has won our state global respect.
4. We salute the forthrightness, inclusiveness, vision, patriotism and commitment that have repositioned our state vis-a-vis industrialisation, human capacity development and wealth creation.
5. By completing the party secretariat which is the most befitting nationwide, His Excellency our dear Governor has ended the ridicule of being a tenant in our own land: for which my colleagues and I want our appreciation on record.
6. As a party, we shall continue to provide ancillary support for the realisation of the completion agenda.
7. In the same vein, we shall work to strengthen the synergy between the leadership of the party and our elected or appointed political office holders to surpass the minimum requirements of good governance and the social contract.
8. To my immediate predecessor whose sagacious leadership made this day possible, leaving for us a party that is cohesive, invincible and progressive, we shall always look back with pride and thanks at the two terms of Obong Paul ‘Politics’ Ekpo, who also doubled as Chairman of PDP Chairmen’s Forum.
9. To the members of the outgoing Executive Committee, my colleagues and I say thank you.
10. Ditto for our elder statesmen, dedicated women, youths, groups and the unit commanders, who have remained unwavering in supporting the PDP through thick and thin.
11. Our party has become the formidable electoral machine that it is today, because of the immense and immeasurable contributions, efforts and investment of time, talent and resources by all members.
12. Under my watch, this State Executive Committee (SEC) shall build on that by harnessing our human resource and opportunities to reinforce PDP dominance.
13. The herculean task of strengthening our party is a challenge that we are ready for.
14. My Exco and I shall take our party to the units, using the Unit Commanders framework established by His Excellency, Gov. Udom Emmanuel, and every unit shall be designated with the name of an active party member charged with the responsibility of delivering the unit at all times.
15. We shall create a level playing field for all members of our party; we shall reach out and consult widely to build consensus even as we actively engage in grassroots sensitisation and social mobilisation.
16. We shall never take our people and base for granted; we shall allow transparency and justice during congresses, primaries, and elections; we shall work with His Excellency to ensure smooth transition.
17. While we shall continue to keep the umbrella open to all, we also reassure other political parties in the state (through Inter-Party Advisory Council, IPAC) that they have a partner in the Peoples Democratic Party as long as the focus is Akwa Ibom interest.
18. We shall encourage our members who hold office to create platforms for public engagement to deepen the bonds between our party and the people.
19. We shall reassert the supremacy of the party and emphasise the need for party loyalty and discipline.
20. We shall continue to ensure regular interface with members with a view to making the party viable and self-sustaining.
21. We therefore solicit your support and cooperation so that, together, we can reach greater heights beyond what our imaginations currently conceive.
22. Thank you.
Hon. Udo Ekpenyong
Peoples Democratic Party
Akwa Ibom State