POLICE PRESS RELEASE
UPDATE ON THE INHUMAN TREATMENT OF GODWIN ABRAHAM EFFIONG BY UDUAK ANIEKAN SAM-EKPO (PROTOCOL OFFICER TO CHAIRMAN, ABAK LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA), AND NYAKNO IDONGESIT UKPANAH.
The attention of Akwa Ibom State Police Command has been drawn to a video which has gone viral. In the said video, two young men were seen beating up another young man in a dehumanizing manner. The Commissioner of Police, CP ZAKI AHMED has condemned the act in strong terms, and has therefore ordered a more discreet investigation into the matter. However, it is expedient to bring to the knowledge of the public the initial state of affairs before the video went viral.
2. On the 9th of May, 2019, a case of robbery was reported by one Godwin Abraham Effiong, ‘m’ of Atai Otoro village, Abak Local Government Area through a petition against one Uduak Aniekan Sam Ekpo, ‘m’ and Nyakno Idongesit Ukpanah, ‘m’, all of Abak Local Government Area.
3. The Police on receipt of the said petition arrested the duo of Uduak Aniekan a.k.a “Alele” and Nyakno Idongesit Ukpanah for prosecution.
4. However, while investigation was ongoing, both parties met and agreed to settle their differences amicably. The alleged seventy-five thousand naira (N75, 000.00) was paid to the complainant, including the fifty thousand naira (N50, 000.00) he claimed to have lost and a new phone was also bought for him. On his part, the complainant having opted for a peaceful settlement, voluntarily withdrew the matter.
5. The Command was not aware of the existence of the said viral video.
6. The Command wishes to assure the good people of Akwa Ibom State that it will not tolerate any act of disrespect or violation of human rights of any citizen in any guise and therefore urges those who find themselves in such situations to report same to the nearest Police Station immediately.
SP ODIKO MacDON
POLICE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
FOR : COMMISIONER OF POLICE,
AKWA IBOM STATE.